Vector SI is a graphical hack of the game, changing sprites as well as some sounds.
This hack of Space Invaders plays exactly the same as the original version, just with a change of graphics and sound. The graphics were changed to imitate vector (or "wire frame") graphics that were seen in several arcade games from the late 1970s - 1980s and on the home Vectrex machine from the early 1980s through the present. The hack was created by Atari Age forum member neotokeo2001. The sounds were also changed and the colors made to look like the original Space Invaders game, being in only black, white, orange and green.
- Moving Shields--bunkers move back and forth
- Zigzagging Laser Bombs--Invaders' shots zigzag back and forth towards the earth
- Fast Laser Bombs--Invaders' Bombs drop quickly
- Invisible Invaders--Invaders are invisible unless one (or the Command Alien Ship) is shot, which they then briefly reappear
- Large laser cannon--flipping a difficulty switch on the 2600 console to the A position makes players' laser cannons twice as large
Game variations, player setupEdit
There are two player alternating variations, along with variations to not only have both players onscreen at once, but there are also several competing variations as well, such as ones where if one player gets hit by Invaders' fire, the other player is awarded 200 points. Others include alternating shots where if one player takes too long to fire their laser cannon then it will automatically shoot.
Other variations include ones where one player controls the cannon, along with one player can only move the cannon to the right, while the other player can only move it to the left. Other variations allow one movement and one shot per player, then the other player gets to do the same, and others have one player move the laser cannon while the other player fires.
- Row 1 Invader--5 points
- Row 2 Invader--10 points
- Row 3 Invader--15 points
- Row 4 Invader--20 points
- Row 5 Invader--25 points
- Row 6 Invader--30 points
- Command Alien Ship--200 points, or 100 points in certain game variations
- Other player's laser cannon hit--200 points awarded to other player on certain competitive game variations
- Move cannon--joystick (left/right)
- The original game came with several label variations, which are known as Picture, Text, Red, and Silver labels. This version comes as a ROM file only to be played on Atari emulators.
- Neotokeo2001 also did the C.I.F.S. and Space Armada hacks.
Atari Age Vector SI page