Spice Invaders is just a graphical hack, with the invaders being changed to resemble the Spice Girls pop group (except for the bottom row invader, which is now a cd), the Alien Command Ship has the initials "GP" in it, the bunkers and player's laser bases have been changed, as well as the death animation for the invaders and Command Ships. Other than these factors, the game plays exactly the same as the original Atari 2600 version.
The hack was created by Philip R. Frey.
- Moving Shields--Bunkers move back and forth
- Zigzagging Laser Bombs--Invaders' shots zigzag back and forth towards the ground
- Fast Laser Bombs--Invaders Bombs drop quickly
- Invisible Invaders--Invaders are invisible unless one (or the Command Alien Ship) is shot, which they then briefly reappear
- Large Laser Cannons--flipping a difficulty switch on the 2600 console to the A position makes players' laser cannons larger
Game variations, player setupEdit
There are two player alternating variations, along with variations to not only have both players onscreen at once, but there are also several competing variations as well, such as ones where if one player gets hit by invader fire, the other player is awarded 200 points. Others include alternating shots where if one player takes too long to fire from their laser cannon then it will automatically shoot.
Other variations include ones where one player controls one laser cannon, along with one player can only move it to the right, while the other player can only move it to the left. Other variations allow one movement and one shot per player, then the other player gets to do the same, and others have one player move the cannon while the other player fires.
- Row one invader--5 points
- Row two invader--10 points
- Row three invader--15 points
- Row four invader--20 points
- Row five invader--25 points
- Row six invader--30 points
- GP Ship--200 points (except for some variations when it is only worth 100)
- Other player's laser cannon hit--200 points awarded to other player on certain competitive game variations
- Move laser cannon--joystick left and right
- The original game came with several label variations, which are known as Picture, Text, Red, and Silver labels.
- Unlike with most hacks, this one can be made into an actual cartridge with a high-resolution label if Atari Age members send a private message to the creator.
Spice Invaders Atari Age page