Space Invaders Deluxe isn't just a graphical hack, as it incorporates a few new features to it.
Graphically, the invaders were changed to look more like the arcade original, although they also changed colors as they dropped down a row. The Alien Command Ship's point amount would also be shown when shot, along with it's shape being changed, plus it glowed. The bunkers were also changed, the double shots were automatically enabled, the invaders' death animation were changed back (like with the original's to one frame of animation and the "S. O. S.!" intermission in between each wave is also included, like with Space Invaders Part II.
The hack was created by Atari Age forum member Nukey Shay.
- Moving Shields--Bunkers move back and forth
- Zigzagging Laser Bombs--Invaders' shots zigzag back and forth towards the ground
- Fast Laser Bombs--Invaders Bombs drop quickly
- Invisible Invaders--Invaders are invisible unless one (or the Command Alien Ship) is shot, which they then briefly reappear
- Large Laser Cannons--flipping a difficulty switch on the 2600 console to the A position makes players' laser cannons larger
Game variations, player setupEdit
There are two player alternating variations, along with variations to not only have both players onscreen at once, but there are also several competing variations as well, such as ones where if one player gets hit by invader fire, the other player is awarded 200 points. Others include alternating shots where if one player takes too long to fire from their laser cannon then it will automatically shoot.
Other variations include ones where one player controls one laser cannon, along with one player can only move it to the right, while the other player can only move it to the left. Other variations allow one movement and one shot per player, then the other player gets to do the same, and others have one player move the cannon while the other player fires.
- Row one invader--5 points
- Row two invader--10 points
- Row three invader--15 points
- Row four invader--20 points
- Row five invader--25 points
- Row six invader--30 points
- Alien Command Ship--random
- Other player's laser cannon hit--200 points awarded to other player on certain competitive game variations
- Move laser cannon--joystick left and right
The original game came with several label variations, which are known as Picture, Text, Red, and Silver labels. This version comes as a ROM file only to be played on Atari emulators.
Space Invaders Deluxe Atari Age page