Face Invaders Deluxe is a graphical hack of the game -- it plays exactly the same as the original version -- having changed game sprites, as the invaders were made into various faces, including the Command Alien Ship, and the player's laser cannon also is slightly thicker. The hack was created by Barry Laws Jr.
- Moving Shields--shields move back and forth
- Zigzagging Laser Bombs--Faces' shots zigzag back and forth towards the ground
- Fast Laser Bombs--Faces' Bombs drop quickly
- Invisible Invaders--Faces are invisible unless one (or the flying Face) is shot, which they then briefly reappear
- Large Laser Cannon--flipping a difficulty switch on the 2600 console to the A position makes players' laser cannons twice as large
Game variations, player setupEdit
There are two player alternating variations, along with variations to not only have both players onscreen at once, but there are also several competing variations as well, such as ones where if one player gets hit by faces' fire, the other player is awarded 200 points. Others include alternating shots where if one player takes too long to fire their laser cannon then it will automatically shoot.
Other variations include ones where one player controls the laser cannon, along with one player can only move it to the right, while the other player can only move it to the left. Other variations allow one movement and one shot per player, then the other player gets to do the same, and others have one player move the laser cannon while the other player fires.
- Row 1 face--5 points
- Row 2 face--10 points
- Row 3 face--15 points
- Row 4 face--20 points
- Row 5 face--25 points
- Row 6 face--30 points
- Flying face--200 points, or 100 points in certain game variations
- Other player's laser cannon hit--200 points awarded to other player on certain competitive game variations
- Move laser cannon--joystick left and right
The original game came with several label variations, which are known as Picture, Text, Red, and Silver labels. This version comes as a ROM file only to be played on Atari emulators.
Atari Age Face Invaders Deluxe page