Borg Wars III Invasion (based on the Borg enemy in Star Trek: The Next Generation tv series) is a graphical hack of the game (it plays exactly the same as the original 2600 version), just having changed game sprites, as the invaders were made into Borg ships and commanders, the bunkers were changed to a Federation crest, the explosions of the Borg and Enterprise (which replaces the laser cannon) have been changed, as well as the background colors. A few sounds were changed as well.
The hack was created by Atari Age forums member Atari Troll.
- Moving Shields--shields move back and forth
- Zigzagging Laser Bombs--Borgs' shots zigzag back and forth towards the ground
- Fast Laser Bombs--Borgs' Bombs drop quickly
- Invisible Borgs--Borgs are invisible unless one (or the Borg mother ship) is shot, which they then briefly reappear
- Large Enterprise--flipping a difficulty switch on the 2600 console to the A position makes players' Enterprises very large
Game variations, player setupEdit
There are two player alternating variations, along with variations to not only have both players onscreen at once, but there are also several competing variations as well, such as ones where if one player gets hit by Borg fire, the other player is awarded 200 points. Others include alternating shots where if one player takes too long to fire from their Enterprise then it will automatically shoot.
Other variations include ones where one player controls one Enterprise, along with one player can only move it to the right, while the other player can only move it to the left. Other variations allow one movement and one shot per player, then the other player gets to do the same, and others have one player move the Enterprise while the other player fires.
- Row 1 Borg--5 points
- Row 2 Borg--10 points
- Row 3 Borg--15 points
- Row 4 Borg--20 points
- Row 5 Borg--25 points
- Row 6 Borg--30 points
- Borg mother ship--200 points, or 100 points in certain game variations
- Other player's Enterprise hit--200 points awarded to other player on certain competitive game variations
- Move Enterprise--joystick left and right
The original game came with several label variations, which are known as Picture, Text, Red, and Silver labels. This version comes as a ROM file only to be played on Atari emulators.
Borg Wars III Invasion Atari Age page